Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The Number Struggle

Last week, I took a few afternoons to go shopping.  There were a ton of spring sales going on and I hadn't shopped in a long time.  I went to JC Penney, Kohls, Target, and some other local stores.  I went mostly looking for an Easter dress, but hey, why not look for spring pants and all, too?!

I picked up a really cute skirt at Kohls.  I am (well, was) a shopper who could buy something based on the size, take it home, take the tags off, and I knew it'd fit 100% of the time.  I, for some reason, felt like I should probably try on the skirt.  It wouldn't even zip.  For a second, I was devastated.  But then I realized that all of my other clothes still fit. I couldn't figure out why this skirt wasn't fitting.  

(via)

I went to JCPenney and found some adorable chinos in the Junior's section, a dress I liked, and some other odds and ends.  I went to try the chinos on, and they were way too small. Again, for a second, I was devastated, and my self esteem started to plummet.  I remembered that all of my other clothes still fit.  Curious, I went and found some of the same style pants in the women's section in my size and they were perfect.  

I left completely dumbfounded.  I've always had a ton of self esteem and have never let the size of my clothes ever get me down. 
How could one number be so different across the board? 
How could one number have so much effect on how I see myself? 

So I came home and cut all of the size tags out of most of my clothes.  I've got nothing to prove with that tag.  Nothing.  It's irrelevant and does no good (other than being able to resell them accurately).  If it fits, if it looks good, and if I feel confident, it's coming home with me. 

I vow to never let the number on a tag touch my confidence ever again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!