Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Things Losing My Dad Taught Me

I lost my Dad back in May, and in the last three months, I have learned more about myself, my faith, and what I'm capable of being and doing.

1.
God's Timing is God's Timing
I hate not being in control, and I spent a lot of time being angry with God, angry with my Dad, and angry in general.  I was angry with my Dad who kept telling me his job was done. I didn't understand what that meant. I was angry with God for taking my dad from me, even more so after we found out we were pregnant. My kids will never know the man they would have called Gramps, who would have spoiled them rotten. But God's timing is good, and I trust that He is sovereign. 

2.
24 years is enough
My Dad loved my sister and I with all of his being. I was angry because 24 years with my dad was not enough. It was not until I looked back at all of the great things that were crammed into my 24 years with my Dad that I appreciated it and realized it was and will always be enough.  I learned not to let the "could be" outweigh what was. 

3. 
I am my father's daughter
I am not only the daughter of one of the most renowned educators in Metro Nashville Public Schools, but I'm the daughter of the King of kings.  My dad was one of the greatest men that ever walked this earth, but my Father is the maker of Heaven and Earth.  Now they are together. 

4. 
I am so loved
I have never felt the community and lover that I have felt since my Dad died.  There were people who were names to me from Dad's stories who have since wrapped their arms around us and became parts of our family.  It's an amazing feeling.

5. 
My life will never be the same
... but that is okay. It's not supposed to be the same. We adapt, we grow, and we move forward.  I have learned how to depend differently, I have learned to be confident in my decisions, rather than double checking them with someone, and I've learned to rely on my own conscience, because that is where Dad lives now... in the things he taught me, the values he instilled, and the person he helped mold me to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!