Comparison and Contentment
Something I think we've been struggling with lately is comparing ourselves to our other newlywed friends. It's human nature, it's normal, and I know we're not alone.
Comparison is everywhere.
We are constantly comparing ourselves to people at work, and depending on where they stand, we measure whether or not we are successful.
We measure ourselves based on what others have that we don't. We're in a one bedroom apartment, but our two newlywed couple best friends have a two bedroom and a house! We assume we're lacking because we don't have what they have.
We hear others talking about their $100k+ salaries and feel like we're not good enough because we don't make near that much.
What we forget, though, is this:
we have jobs.
we have a home.
we make enough.
It's so easy to get bogged down in this rat race that is American culture. It's so easy to lose sight of how blessed we are to have the little things we have. There are families who are striving for what we have.
Contentment and appreciation: that's the goal.
Wow. So crazy to me that you wrote this today because this exact topic weighs so heavy on my mind lately now that I am in between jobs for a little bit this summer. Sometimes I can't help but compare ourselves to other couples who were married right around the same time as us and are doing way better than us (financially speaking). This was a great reminder today. I want to write a post about this too. It seems like a lot of people do this! =)
ReplyDelete