Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Communication is Key

We've all heard the line "Communication is key." Heck, I have a bachelors of science in communication. Thousands of dollars spent to learn, and I'm no better at it than I was before. Why? I'll chalk it up to human nature, but it's probably because I'm stubborn. Communication is like exercise. It sucks to do it, and it's hard to get started, and sometimes you have arguments because of it (or puke, in exercise's case), but after it's all said and done, you're so thankful you did it!
 
Someone once called me a "let me do it" personality.  That's a nice way of saying I'm a control freak. I like to know things are done the way I like them done, and the only way to do that is to do them myself.  In high school, I was the kid in group projects that would tell my teammates that I would do the project and they could have the A. Most people were okay with that!
 
Insert husband here.
(just because I think this gives you a great idea of who he is...hahaha)
 
I'm now one person on a two person team. There's very little room for "let me do it" personalities in a marriage because eventually, the more laid back of the two starts to feel like he/she is being left out of the planning and the doing. 
 
For example, we recently talked about our finances and what they mean for our five year plan.  Talking to my husband about our finances, our bills and debts, where our money goes, where each of us would like it to go, and what it means for moving, growing our family, etc. was one of the best things I've ever done.  Why did it take me almost eleven months to do it? Because I figured I had it under control and he would go along with it. I felt like a 5,000 pound weight was lifted from my shoulders when all was said and done, and Jackson felt like he was included.  It also helped him feel like he was better able to lead our family because he was better informed.  He has been praying for God to make him the leader our family needs, and through our talk, he was able to grow! I had been praying for relief from my money stress, and having someone who shares our goals and plans lifted that weight.  Talk about answered prayers!
 
Letting people, especially my husband, in is becoming easier and easier the more I realize how much better it makes me feel.  I don't have to carry my burdens alone, and that is something I constantly have to remind myself. 

1 comment:

  1. It's so fun to sit back and watch you two learn more about each other the longer you're married. Finance is a huge part of the stability in a marriage I think, and having you both in on those conversations is definitely key! I'm happy for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!