Newlywed Lessons
Our first year has flown. Time wise, it seems like we got married a few months ago. Our first year of marriage has been so incredibly full. I can count the number of weekends we had down time on one hand, but I can't count the blessings on all of my fingers and toes combined.
Our year has been full of learning.
Learning how to share, learning how to coexist, learning how to mesh our lives.
I won't lie. Some days were hard.
Some days were full of fights about money and babies and our home and quality time.
Some days were full of tickle fights, homemade waffles, and giggles.
All of our days have been so filled with love.
I've learned some really hard lessons this year.
What we have is enough - We don't need the million dollar mansion, we don't need fancy cars or expensive gifts for Christmas. What we have is plenty. I have learned how to be appreciative and happy and thankful for the things we have right now, because in the blink of an eye, it could all be gone.
The here and now won't be here and now forever - I have, in the 27 days so far this year, learned to live more in the moment than I ever have. Heck, I'm leaving my planner places because I don't use it as often. I'm learning to live on a whim, to pick up and go, and to live in the here and now. We planned our anniversary trip on a whim at a week's notice. We go to concerts. We are going to 10:30pm movies just because. We are throwing a little of our caution to the wind, and I love it. It just so happens, it has cured my current baby fever, which is an added perk! ;) I won't always get this time to spend with Jackson, so I'm soaking it up one moment at a time.

Sharing is caring, but it's not always fun - I didn't grow up with skills in sharing. My sister and I went to different high schools so we wouldn't have to share friends, teachers, etc. That was not such a good thing for my marriage. We love hanging out with our friends, but being a quality time person, I don't always like to share time with my husband with everyone else. I also don't like sharing the spotlight. When my brother in law and his new wife came home for Christmas, I hated sharing my "first married Christmas" spotlight. As for sharing the TV, I have been known to throw a "I don't want to watch this hunting show anymore" fit. I'm not proud, but I'm learning.
Sometimes not saying everything you think is okay - In an argument, not everything is something worthy of being said. Sometimes, whatever it is may make matters worse. It's okay to ask for a minute to collect your thoughts. The smartest thing I've ever done is ask for a pause. It's a pause in whatever argument is going on so I can think. When I'm upset, my filter goes out the window, so things that aren't so encouraging are said before I have a chance to think about them. Taking that pause is crucial to my arguing.
What was your biggest newlywed lesson?
I just loved this post, girl. It's so honest and true! I think our biggest lesson was just learning that we need to put God first, and that our relationship will grow because of that. Also? That it's okay that our home isn't spotless and clean every single day. :)
ReplyDelete