Monday, January 23, 2017

January's Read: A Dog's Purpose

This year, one of my goals is to read one book per month. 
(via)
For January, I read A Dog's Purpose
It was a book my dad ordered a few years ago and read not long after we adopted Boomer, so I knew the book existed, but it wasn't until after seeing that they have made it into a movie that I knew I had to read it. Let's be real - this home girl does not miss a Dennis Quaid movie. 
I could have really done without the first four chapters, but I guess it helps set up the underlying theme in the story, which is that a dog doesn't die, it just comes back as another dog. No spoilers, right? You get that from the preview. 
I am so happy with where Toby/Bailey/Ellie/Buddy's story ended. 
If you love dogs, it is a great read.  It made me look at dogs differently for sure, especially my sweet Boomer bear.  He was there when I left for college, when I moved back home, when I got married, and has been there for every Friday visit since. He used to sleep in my bed when I lived at home, so Bailey's life with Ethan really hit home. Boomer is an old boy now, and is looking so rough, so I'm finding myself looking at him as if I'm trying to read his mind now.  *Spoiler alert* Boomer and Buddy shared an event this year - they comforted their boys as they took their last breath. I've never thought about Boomer in that way. I've watched him adjust, but I never thought about how he felt as he comforted Dad. 

I enjoyed it. Who else has read it? What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!