Yesterday, upon arriving home, I did my usual scan the apartment to see what is laying in the floor from the man-child's morning escapades.
Usually, I give him one or two honey-do's to get done before he goes to work. Load or unload the dishwasher, run the laundry, you get the idea. I gave him two simple tasks: First, take out the trash including a bag of old pillows... second, unload and reload the dishwasher to run the entire sink load of dishes from the weekend.
After my quick apartment scan, I noticed something.
Trash was empty. Sink was full.
50% is failing in Metro Nashville Schools. I'm just saying.
I started slamming things around the kitchen, getting angry because of the disgusting nonsense I was going to have to deal with because he picked which of the two to do and he chose poorly. I was livid. Words about how hard I work to keep his laundry done and supper cooked flowed from my mouth.
I flung the dishwasher door open to unload the dishes that I was sure he had left in there.
Empty.
Heart, meet feet.
I was so embarrassed and ashamed of my negative attitude toward my husband for not doing everything I asked. I didn't even think that he may have been exhausted and had to pick between the two chores because he was running behind. I didn't even think about the fact that he did something rather than leaving both for me to do. I didn't even think that he may have wanted to save me a trip up the hill to the dumpster.
I'm learning, slowly but surely, what it means to be a wife. No, this won't be the last time I get frustrated because he forgets to or accidentally (because he wouldn't dare do it intentionally) neglects to do something I asked. But how forgiving is he of me when I fall short? How forgiving is our Heavenly Father when we all fall short?
Unconditional Love. That's the goal.
Three weeks and two days into this whole married life thing, and some days are better than others. We're growing and learning what it means to love unconditionally every day.
What was your dishwasher moment as a newlywed?
I have been there girly. And unfortunately even when you learn a lesson you'll find yourself in that same spot 4, 6, 8 years from now. It's easy to forget that we are all fallible and something is better than nothing.
ReplyDeleteMy Wholesome Home
AH! That darn human nature. It's good to know, though, that it's normal and that I'm not failing as a wife! ;)
DeleteYou'll have a lot more of those girls.. trust me, but then you'll eventually get into a swing of things and it just works itself out.
ReplyDeleteohhhh yaaaay. hahaha. If anything, I did learn a lot about myself and Jackson in the process. Hopefully getting in the swing isn't too far away. :)
Delete