Birthday on a Budget
One week from Saturday is Jackson's 23rd Birthday, and his first birthday as a husband.
I spent weeks trying to think of the perfect gift. I was researching guns and accessories and making it 10 kinds of complicated. I kept thinking about gow awesome the Titans tickets were last year, and how I could never match that! I wanted to make it birthday of his dreams on our newlywed budget.
Here's how I made it work:
Plan in advance
By planning ahead, you give yourself plenty of time to watch sales, to change your mind, and to think of the perfect birthday components. If you wait until the last week, you may be forced into the gift and not enjoy it as much. I started planning three weeks in advance.
Listen to him; he will tell you what he wants
While going through his closet, he commented about really wanting a pair of American Eagle jeans. He followed that by, "when we have extra money for them." My heart started to ache just a bit because his luxuries had to wait until our budget allowed. Insert lightbulb here; I remembered his birthday was a few weeks away! While it's not a huge expensive present, it's something he wants which is just as special.
Wait for a sale
By giving yourself a few weeks, you can wait for a sale. I waited them out until jeans were under $30 and I had an awesome coupon. By shopping a sale, you are able to stay in your budget or free up more money for little gifts to go with it. I plan to fill his pants pockets with iTunes gift cards and Date coupons!!
Be original
Believe it or not, guys are aware of the lists like "Best five gifts for your husband's first married birthday" lists. I was guilty last year of Googling "What to get male on the last birthday before you're married." I was totally busted! The more you intentionally listen to him, the easier it is to be original. For example, Jackson also has never been to the Cheesecake Factory, so I plan to take him there for dessert!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!