Thursday, March 26, 2015

That One Time I Went To The Doctor Alone...

As a kid, I had asthma.  I feel like 3/5 kids has it, carries around their inhaler, and grows out of it.  I grew out of it when I was in middle school.  When I went off to college, I started having trouble breathing.  The Infirmary on Tech's campus told me I had asthma. Surprise? nah. They gave me an inhaler and I was golden.  Fast forward five years (or so) to this week. 
 
I woke up Sunday and was having some trouble breathing.  It's like I try to take a deep breath and can't fill my lungs up 100%.  So I decided to go to the urgent care clinic on Wednesday after fighting it for a few days.
 

I walked in, they checked my vitals, and the nurse knew exactly how I felt. She sent in the clinician and it was all down-hill from there. 
 
He walked in and asked me why I was there. I said I thought my asthma was back because I was experiencing shortness of breath.  He looked at me and said "What does 'shortness of breath' mean to you exactly?" So I explained (my problem was that I lead with "you know how...") when I breathe that I wasn't getting a full breath which lead to the anxiety of "I can't beathe!" Because I started with "you know how..." He looked at me and said "no. I don't know. that doesn't happen to me."  He then started asking me question after question to see (or so it felt like he was trying to see) if I was making it up. It was the worst experience of my life. 
 
He ordered an EKG, a chest x-ray, and a breathing test.  His results? I have asthma. 
 
I was livid. I was terrified having to do all of it by myself, but then to come to the conclusion I told him he would come to anyway... that sent me over the edge.  I called Jackson who started joking and I busted out in tears.  It was the worst doctor experience of my life and I will be calling ahead of time to see if that joker is working so I don't get stuck with him again.
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! What a jerk! Like, hello, you're a doctor, dude! Ever heard of bedside manner? I'm sorry girl!!! I hope you're alright.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!