Tuesday, March 3, 2015

When I Retire...

I love retirement parties. Love them. Even if I barely knew the person. 
 It's not about the cake or the finger foods or anything else besides listening to people love on this one person. I love looking at pictures and hearing stories of things from years gone by. 
 
We had a party for the second person ever hired with our company who retired after 24 years. 
 She is seriously the sweetest person. She was the first person to take me under her wing and make sure I was okay when I started working there.  The sweet words spoken by our president, our commissioner, and all of the employees she has inspired and loved were tear worthy words, and she cried and cried and cried. Grown men, friends, shook as they sobbed on her shoulder and thanked her for taking a chance on him.  My heart.  Our company started in 1991... the year I was born... and it was so awesome to see pictures from before then of people I was standing next to at this party.  

It got me thinking.... when I retire, I want people to sob on my shoulder. I want people to love me the way people love her. I want to be able to look out in the crowd of people and tell funny stories about each of them.  I want people to think about how awesome it was to have worked with me. A little vain, yes, but honest.  

I love my job now, but it's not necessarily a company I think I'll retire from... which then sends me into a tailspin of what will I do for the rest of my life? My job now is family friendly, will be helpful when we have a baby, I have time built up that I can take when that happens, and (for the most part) I love my co-workers.  Yes, I am only 23, but it makes me wonder what I will do when I grow up (ha). 

I've been working on giving up my plans. I mean, if we're 100% honest, my plans don't matter in the scheme of God's plans, but hey, they're fun to make.  If I'm meant to stay in my current job until I retire, if that's God's plan, then I will be content and happy with that. If not, when the time comes, I will take the leap of faith to start a new chapter.  For now, I will live for the day I'm in, and enjoy what I'm doing. 

What are your thoughts on retiring? What do you want people to say about you?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a total type A planner when it comes to my future and what I see myself doing in the next few years to come...but at the same time I feel like "screw it, let's just go where the wind takes us!" Haha! I understand :) sounds like that lady was an awesome person!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!