Friday, January 29, 2016

Year Two

Our second anniversary is next Monday, and I cannot believe how quickly it got here.  It does not feel like a year ago that we were in Chattanooga celebrating our first anniversary. Our year has been full of love, learning, and growth. I have learned a lot about myself, my sweet husband, our Savior, and what it means to love each other unconditionally.  
We learned to share things like the radio, the television (I didn't realize everyone doesn't like to watch Harry Potter all the time. Apparently those people do exist). I learned how to disagree instead of fight. We learned that it is okay to say no to plans to spend time together, and that sometimes you call into work to have a day together after the world has beaten you to a pulp. We learned the importance of filling each other's cup and how to speak the other's love language.
I have learned some important things this year. 
No one was blessed with the ability to read minds- Say what you mean and mean what you say, because it is an unrealistic expectation to think the other just knows what you feel or what you're thinking.  
There is a difference in fighting and disagreeing - I'm a dirty fighter. I always have been, and as I get older, I realize that there is no place for that in any of my relationships.  I was bullied as a kid and my insecurities were used against me, so that is always my go to.  It's not kind and is by no means Christlike.  I have learned this year that our disagreements don't have to turn to fights, rather, they should be discussions with love at the core.  
Love keeps no record of wrongs - I've learned that we both keep a running list, unintentionally, of wrongdoings or places where the other is lacking. We don't think about them daily, but when something related comes up, we are quick to pull the lists out. We are working on grace and clean slates. 
It's not the end of the world if you have to ask twice - or three times, or four or five.  It may be a little annoying, but not the end of the world. I'm very bad about getting upset if I have to ask more than once for something to be done.  I'm working on it, I promise.  
Get the Oreos - Sometimes life is about living on a whim. It's about getting the Oreos that weren't on the grocery list, about planning trips for the weekend on Friday afternoon. It's about turning your phones off and just being there together and letting the rest of the world wait.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!