Recipe: Potato Soup!
We had a tool and recipe shower last November where we were given family recipes, friends' recipes from their generations in the kitchen, and tools for our home.
One of the recipes was a potato soup recipe, and I tried it this Fall in honor of ... well... fall. :)
Ingredients:
3 pounds of baby red potatoes (for us it was like 15 potatoes)
package of pre-cooked bacon bits
8 cups of milk
4 cups of chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup of butter
1 cup flour
kitchen tools:
12 quart stockpot
2 quart saucepan
collander
knife
cutting board
ladle
Instructions:
1. cut all of your potatoes into bite sized chunks. I did mine into quarters going the long way, and chopped vertically in half-inch slices. Really, there's no science to it. haha. Boil them in stockpot for ten minutes. Pour them into collander to drain all water.
2. In the now empty pot, pour milk, chicken broth, salt, seasoning salt, and pepper. Heat for 10 minutes, but don't let it boil. stir often.
3. In the small saucepan, make sure you melt the butter completely. Slowly add the 1 cup of flour. This will create what is called a roux. Mine didn't happen. It turned into playdough. Here is a great tutorial in making a roux. It should not look like this:
4. While the milk mixture is heating, slowly add your roux to it. This will make it thick. Let it simmer for 20 minutes or so.
5. Stir in potatoes, bacon, and the whipping cream. Carefully add the potatoes; the splashing milk as a result of not carefully adding potatoes does hurt.
6. Enjoy! It's great with cheese on the top! Sorry I didn't get a picture of the finished product! It went too quickly! :)
What is your favorite soup recipe for fall?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!