Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Choose Love

I got an interesting e-mail question the other day, and knew it'd be a great post.
Believe it or not, I answer this question more often than "how did you meet?" :
 
You've known your husband since you were twelve??! How have you not grown tired of eachother after all the years?
 
The answer is simple - we choose each other daily.
 
After years in a relationship, we graduated and went to college.  Our relationship had been emotion filled and lovey dovey because we were able to see each other as often as we wanted to. We didn't know what it was to miss one another, and our relationship was very superficial (as in it wasn't very deep). Being 90 miles apart for college didn't make it as easy, so we had to grow and learn.  That growth came in the form of a big fat breakup!
(the story gets better, obviously!)
 
 
 
We didn't know what it was to love each other past the kissing and dates and "I love you"s. 
It took us some time apart to realize that love is a choice that we make daily.  Some days, it's as easy as a whole bunch of kisses and some lovey dovey time, but some days it's not.  Some days, he's a grouch because he's had a long day at work; some days, I'm unmanageable because I'm so high maintenance.  I still choose to serve and love him by making him dinner and encouraging him to push through; he still chooses to serve me and love me by helping with laundry and dishes and encouraging me that tomorrow will be better.
 
Long lasting love comes from the choice to love each other despite the downfalls, the imperfections, the negative aspects.  We are still in the honeymoon aspect of our marriage, and I love it.  Our spark is burning bright.  However, there are still days that love is a choice for both of us because we are hard to get along with, we're still learning, and emotion is hanging out on the back burner. Some days, it's harder than others, but it's worth it every day. 
 
The easiest reminder is that God chose to love me and send His Son for me no matter how unlovable, unmanageable, and hard headed I am. When I am mad at Jackson and feeling anything but adoration toward my husband, I remember that there are times I am not worthy of God's adoration, but He loves and adores me anyway. 
 
Learning to love like Christ - unconditionally, unrelentingly, and unselfishly - that's the goal.
Linking up with What You Wish Wednesday

5 comments:

  1. Love this, I totally agree about choosing to love each other, that is what makes a relationship work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO so true...Caleb and I dated for a long time and our relationship wasn't put to the test until we were long distance for a few months. But it only made us stronger. So happy you two ended up together :) choosing each other daily is the best advice ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree. Always Choose Love - even on days when I am certain my husband is auditioning for a lead role on a episode of Snapped ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT POST! And...so sweet. So important to not make our spouse our savior...we'd be so disappointed. When Sinner's Say I Do is a great book for getting the right perspective and What Did You Expect...that's another one! Thanks for sharing in WYWW! Come back Wed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so great. The whole falling in and out of love thing in our culture is out of control! We choose to love just as Christ chose us. That is a sacrifice and that is love :) Thank you for stopping by WYWW… look forward to seeing you back! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!