Tuesday, June 3, 2014

On Growing Up...

Obviously I have been an adult now for four years...
I've graduated high school and college.
I have a full time job and insurance.
I have gotten married and we have a home to call our own.
We pay rent and bills.
 
But I haven't truly felt like a grown up until this week.
I've always been able to finagle my vacation time to work around church camp week.  I have not missed a week of camp since my very first year at camp.
Even when I was taking a June-mester, I made it work by going to McDonalds and jacking their wifi to do homework.  
 
This year, I didn't get so lucky. Mind you, I wouldn't trade our honeymoon for anything, but I was fronted my vacation for that week off and couldn't work out another week this early in the year.
 
I may or may not have cried all the way on the two hour drive home.
I miss my kids. I miss bunk beds. I miss my friends. I miss my husband who is there while I'm not. I miss the games and hours outside. I miss camp.
 
And in case you were curious, these are things you don't say to someone who is mourning the loss of their camp week.....
"You have responsibility now and that doesn't include camp."
"Seriously? grow up."
"Well, that's just part of growing up."
"Adults don't get camp week... you'll live."
"Who takes a vacation week for camp?"
"Stop whining."
 
...all of which I received after being back at work for ten minutes on Tuesday.
 
Me and my grumpy tail are going to enjoy the rest of this ten hour day in my office with the door shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys! I do my best to respond to all comments! If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail directly to littlehineyhome@gmail.com. :) I look forward to hearing from you!